Archive Building

Also located on Piazza del Pretorio, it is certainly the symbolic building of Sovana, present in all the photos that portray the village. This building is also known as the Town Hall. Dating back to the 12th century, the palace was born as a municipal seat. It was partially damaged by the troops of the County of Pitigliano in 1433, but was restored in the following decades. In 1588 the clock clearly visible today was added and in the 17th century the bell tower. Starting from the 17th century, the palace became the official seat of the city archive.

Consisting of two adjacent rectangular buildings, the one overlooking the square is divided into three floors, while the one behind it is divided into two, as it has no top floor. The external walls are entirely made of tuff blocks. Today the building houses the documentation center on the history and archeology of Sovana.

Scroll to Top
This site is registered on as a development site.